How do you know when you’re couponing or just even shopping , if you’re getting a good deal?
Here are a few tips I have used to help save my family thousands of dollars. YES…thousands! And to this day I still shop online at the same places, order the same things and STILL save pretty much the same amount of money. You will hear many things. Things like , “the show Extreme couponing has ruined the way we can coupon now.” “Stores won’t double coupons anymore like they used to or their coupon policies are much stricter”
I WAS on Extreme Couponing and while I can’t speak for anyone else who was on the show, It was never easy couponing in NY. Our prices I noticed were always higher than other states and we also would never have some of the amazing sales I would see other stores from other states have.
We also don’t have Super Walmart’s here so our grocery shopping has to be done in the grocery stores. Our groceries stores when I started couponing would double coupons up to $0.99 back then , and they still do today. There have been many couponers that have abused coupons in the past which in return has changed the way we coupon today. HOWEVER…that doesn’t make it any harder to coupon. You just need to find a different approach to saving. I have found the ones complaining are the ones who were stocking up on hundreds of the same items each week. This is not couponing. This is hoarding. I have a very generous stockpile in my basement and family is welcome to take it when the come over. I also donate whenever I can. This stockpile came in VERY handy for us when we were affected by Hurricane sandy as well. Not only was I able to help my family , but all of my neighbors around me.
When I do coupon, Here are ways I get all of my coupons.
PLUS…here are all of the mobile apps I use that will earn me cash back on in-store purchases.
OK , so I won’t bore you anymore 😉
The main reason for this post is to give you a basic idea on what you really need to know before shopping in-stores and online.
I buy my groceries obviously in the store but literally everything else , I shop for online. The main reason for shopping online is this is the easiest way for me to price compare and see reviews on the items I am purchasing. This is how in return we are able to share so many of these deals with you. After 5 years of religiously doing this…you pretty much know by heart which retailer is going to have the best deals on certain items.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR
When shopping for pretty much anything , it’s always important to not look at the price but to look at how much you’re getting for the price your paying.
I can’t tell you how many time we will post a deal about Scott Bath Tissue , yet someone will mention they scored a better deal on Charmin, Cottonelle or Angel Soft for less. That’s because you’re getting MUCH less per roll.
1 roll of Scott’s batt tissue has 100 sheets. Now I know some may say the sheets are very thin so even if you were to fold them in half and have 500 sheets per roll. It’s still more than one regular roll of the other leading brands.
Cottonelle has 190 sheets per roll.
Angel Soft double rolls have 264 sheets per roll. (4 double rolls = 1056 sheets) This would mean FOUR double rolls are just about as many sheets as 1 roll of Scott. So if you think you’re getting a deal on Angel soft…you’re most likely not.
We will usually find Scott Bath Tissue on Sale and post about it at least 4-5 times a year for as low as $0.59 a roll shipped.
If you think paying $0.25 a roll for Angel soft if good. You will essentially be paying $1 for it to equal the same amount as one roll of Scott.
SALES AND PROMOTIONS – HOW STORES CAN PERSUADE YOU INTO BUYING MORE AND EVEN SPENDING MORE WHEN YOU THINK YOU’RE SAVING.
Once again…You need to know when you’re getting a good deal and eventually after buying the products a few times , you will know what a good price is and the lowest you can score it for.
Many people see a gift card deal and automatically think it’s a great deal.
For example, Target.
For the most part , these are AMAZING DEALS IF:
- We can pair them with coupons.
- Pick them up in the store to avoid shipping costs if we don’t have a Target Red Card
- OR…There’s a Cartwheel offer available as well that can be used in addition to the coupons.
BUT…if we don’t have any of those above. You can more often than not…find a much better deal on Amazon. PLUS..not everyone coupons. Some people will just shop online and just want it shipped for the convenience. So if this is the case…why not get the best deal?? It sounds like it’s a lot of work but it’s really not.
Every time I am making a purchase online , I spend less than 5 minutes shopping around to make sure the item I am buying is the best deal before getting it.
This week Target is offering a $5 Target Gift Card with your purchase of 2 or more select Glad Trash Bags.
Note there are 50 in each box. This would give you a total of 100 bags for $21.98.
Get back a $5 Target Gift Card which would make both boxes only $16.98 after the gift card right ?
Now look below.. This is what price the 100ct box of Glad Trash bags are. Same EXACT item. NOT even on sale. Same exact price. Well off by one penny. The difference is , in the deal above, consumers are having to lay out more money up front. THEN forcing them to spend more because now they have a gift card to come back to the store and use.
Purchase the Same 100ct. Glad Trash bags with Gain Scent here on Amazon.Choose subscribe and save and get them for only $16.14 and shipping is Free! 🙂
PLUS..they usually have e-coupons you can clip which would save you even more.
TIPS WHEN BUYING ONLINE
- Avoid shipping at all costs. (99.9% of the times I will score free shipping on every single item purchased online. If free shipping is not available, I decide on how bad I need the item and will wait for the retailer to offer a free shipping promo code.
- Many retailers already offer free shipping with a minimum purchase so I always make sure to meet that minimum.
- Join all rewards programs for the retailers I do shop at because more often than not…the more you shop there, you are rewarded with free shipping. For example, Best Buy rewards zone elite members receive shipping after spending a certain amount of money.
- FREE shipping online at Target ALL year round when you sign up for their Red Card. It’s a debit card so you link it to your checking account and not only do you get free shipping , you will also save 5% on every purchase online AND in-stores. (Sign up for Target Red card Here)
- FREE 2 Day shipping on Amazon if you’re a Prime member. You can try it out for 30 days for free here. There are SEVERAL other benefits to a Prime membership so I highly recommend you look into this one! I have saved, every year .. well over what the membership fees are!
- IF..I have no choice but to pay shipping on an item , I will first check to see if it’s available for in-store pick up depending on where I am purchasing it from. If then I still need to order online and have shipped , I will be sure to go through my Shopathome.com account where I know I will earn cash back on the order which will help make up some of my shipping costs. (Join Shopathome.com for free here and receive a $10 Bonus)
- Did you know you can buy tons of groceries online at Walmart? This could be HUGE for someone that doesn’t have time to clip coupons. Their prices are usually the lowest around and the convenience of having everything shipped right to your home for free. You can’t beat this! See our post on Shopping for groceries at Walmart Here.
- Amazon’s Prime Panty – You can use coupons, the items are shipped right to your door for free and prices can be MUCH less than your local competitors. Even Target and Walmart! See our post on Amazon’s Prime Pantry and how it works Here
- Amazon’s Subscribe and Save is another one I use quite often. When a coupon comes out for a specific product we use, the deal is too good to pass up. I will subscribe to the product, wait for it to come and then when it arrives, I will go into my prime account and cancel the subscription if I no longer want to have it shipped to me. See how to save 15% on Groceries , Baby items and more with Amazon Subscribe & Save Here
For those of you that DO like shopping in stores for everything and do love your coupons.
Make sure you read this post on where I get all of my coupons from when I do use coupons (Read Here)