Since I have been trying to watch my weight and eat healthy, I actually have the entire family eating healthy now too and found some great alternatives that taste just as good, and even your kids will like it. PLUS, you can benefit a little more from eating avocados which I never knew. If you use Mayo on your sandwich , try this Avocado spread instead next time! It’s sooo yummy and my kids LOVE it!
- 1 Avocado
- 2 tbsp of Sour cream or nonfat Greek Yogurt. ( I usually use the yogurt and it’s yummy!)
- Chunk of fresh garlic (optional) I don’t crush it..just let it sit for an hour or so and then take out before using.
** Thanks to our reader Maddie for this tip on how to prevent the avocado spread from turning brown- Add a teaspoon of lemon or fresh orange juice to the spread.
We have also used it on:
- Cold Pasta Salad
- Fresh Tomato Salad
- Seasoned Ground Chicken
- As a Dip with Tortillas – when I use it for Dip I will also add a little bit of Vegetable soup mix into it for seasoning. My kids LOVE this too and prefer it over chips or candy!
Avocado Health Benefits: 3 Reasons You Should be Eating Them
- Valuable Fat – In a typical avocado, most of the calories you receive come from monounsaturated fat. The monounsaturated fat in an avocado is healthy for you
- Fiber Content – The second reason that you ought to be reminding yourself to eat avocados is their relatively high fiber content. A typical avocado will contain both insoluble and soluble fiber; that alone makes it very powerful, since not many foods can brag about containing both kinds of fiber. The breakdown in an average avocado is approximately 75 percent insoluble fiber to 25 percent soluble fiber. The benefits of each type of fiber are already well known. Insoluble fiber is great at cleaning out your bowels by way of increasingly efficient bowel movements. Not only will you stand a lesser chance of getting constipated, but you also will reduce your chance of getting colorectal cancer, since your colon will be cleaned out effectively. Soluble fiber is great for appetite control. It has the effect of making you feel full, because it turns into a gel that sits in your stomach for a while when it comes into contact with water.
- Vitamins – The presence of vitamins makes up the third health benefit of an average avocado. Thevitamins that you can find in an avocado are B vitamins along with vitamin K and vitamin E. Bvitamins help your body’s metabolism and its maintenance of a healthy skin tone, while vitamin K plays a fundamental role in making sure that your bones grow properly and that your bone density is maintained in later life.